Every time I buy a head of cauliflower, I’m met with groans from my husband. He grudgingly admitted the cauliflower hot wings I whipped up weren’t bad, but he was none too keen to try my latest cauliflower recipe. This time around? Success! Both of us loved these cauliflower “chicken nuggets.” And seriously, they tasted just like the real deal when dipped in barbeque sauce.
On 1/27/2015, the television show The Doctors plagiarized this recipe. Thankfully they’ve since correctly attributed their source, but because the recipe is getting so much attention, I’ve decided to feature it on one of my live cooking shows. Tune in on 1/29/2015 at 8:00 pm central time to cook along!
- 1 head cauliflower, broken into pieces
- 1 cup whole wheat panko bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- salt, pepper, garlic powder and chili powder, to taste
- dipping sauces of your choice
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- In a small bowl, mix together bread crumbs and seasonings. Taste the mix to make sure you like the flavor.
- Crack an egg into a large, zippable freezer bag, then add the cauliflower pieces to the bag. Zip it up and mix it well with your hands until the cauliflower is fully covered in egg.
- Open the bag and pour the bread crumb mix inside. Seal the bag again and mix the cauliflower with the bread crumbs until the pieces are coated.
- Pour the coated cauliflower onto a baking sheet and place it in the oven for approximately 15 to 20 minutes. When the edges of the cauliflower start to crisp, use a spatula to turn the cauliflower for even cooking. Continue cooking until the outside is modestly crisp and the inside is cooked through.
- Enjoy immediately with the dipping sauces of your choosing. We used barbeque sauce, ketchup and a homemade ranch Greek yogurt sauce, but we liked the barbeque sauce the best.