Holidays are exhausting – between the extra activities, parties and heavy foods, sometimes you just need a break. This vegan-friendly, Asian-inspired sweet and sour “pork” recipe is the perfect antidote to an overworked body (and stomach). You can whip it up on the stovetop in about 30 minutes (cooking takes just 15 minutes), and before you know it you’ll be sitting down to a light and delicious meal featuring loads of veggies and 13 grams of protein per serving.
The bulk of the meal starts with Gardein’s Sweet and Sour Porkless Bites, but the fun comes with zucchini ribbons. I use the Mastrad Deco Veggie Slicer to slice ribbons from two zucchinis, using them as a substitute for Thai-style noodles. Once the rest of your ingredients are cooked, you simply heat the zucchini ribbons for 30 seconds and pile everything else on top.
Want more meatless holiday recipes? Go here >>
While conceivably you can use whatever veggies you like best, I sliced thick strips of yellow onion and started sauteing them before adding the Gardein Sweet and Sour Porkless bites to the skillet. Once the Porkless Bites were added and starting to crisp around the edges, I also added a package of frozen peas and carrots to the skillet, continuing to stir until all the ingredients were hot and cooked through.
The end result was seriously delicious. The slightly warmed noodles topped with the stir fry and drizzled with the Gardein-provided sweet and sour sauce satisfied the “comfort food” part of my brain without overloading my intestines with refined carbs or an excess of saturated fats.
- 1 package Gardein Sweet and Sour Porkless Bites
- 2 zucchini, sliced in ribbons
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or oil of your choice
- 1 package frozen carrots and peas
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Dice the onion and use a tool (like the Mastrad Deco Veggie Slicer) to slice the zucchini into ribbons.
- Heat oil on medium-high in a large skillet and add onion. Stir often as onion begins to soften. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- When onion is startint to cook and brown, add the Gardein Sweet and Sour Porkless Bites to the skillet, removing the sauce packet and setting it aside.
- Stir regularly and cook according to the package's instructions, about 10 to 12 minutes. When the bites have been in the skillet for about five minutes, add the bag of frozen peas and carrots, continuing to stir.
- While ingredients are cooking, heat the sauce packet according to the instructions (about 30 seconds in a microwave safe bowl in the microwave). Remove the sauce from the microwave and heat zucchini ribbons for about 30 seconds as well.
- When the porkless bites and vegetables are cooked through and hot, remove from heat and spoon over bowls of warmed zucchini ribbons.
- Drizzle each bowl with the sweet and sour sauce and serve warm.